Job Title: Kennel Technician
Summary: The Kennel Technician performs technical and routine animal care and client service and all related duties at the Animal Rescue League of Berks County. The works involves giving shots, cleaning and maintaining all kennel and animal care related areas and performing all related shelter duties as assigned. Technicians possess certificated to euthanize animals as outlined in shelter procedure. Technicians carry out all daily assignments, follow-through on all necessary shelter related matters, assist customers interested in adopting animals and much be able to take appropriate action to handle standard and emergency shelter situations. On-call coverage may be assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all actions are in accordance with the mission of the Animal Rescue League and reflect the organizational values of the shelter.
- Practice and encourage the humane treatment of animals.
- Receive, examine and vaccinate animals. Administer medications, conduct basic health exams and administer first-aid if necessary.
- Handle animals and make determinations regarding their dispositions, as approved by supervisor.
- Follow established disease control protocols to daily clean, disinfect, and maintain shelter.
- Perform bathing and basic grooming of animals.
- Operate laundry and dish washing equipment.
- Assist customers with animal adoption process; facilitate client/animal interactions to ensure safe and pleasant experiences. Ensure a first-class experience for all customers in the shelter.
- Restock cleaning areas with supplies and equipment. Report supplies and equipment needs to supervisor.
- Maintain equipment in working condition.
- Ensure work, general areas, and adoption floor are maintained in a presentable manner.
- Perform shelter duties inclusive of taking reports from public, receiving animals brought to the shelter, preparing animals and paperwork for adoptions.
- Create and maintain necessary animal records and perform data entry.
- Other duties as assigned by team leader or other administrative staff.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be make to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to handle animals safely and effectively.
- Compassion for animals.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Team player, able to work in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to operate a vehicle safely.
- Available to work weekends, holidays, and overtime as needed.
- Highly motivated, outgoing, polite and professional.
- Basic computer skills.
Work Hours: Work may be conducted during days, evening, nights, weekends and holidays as needed. This position is subject to being on-call.
Education and Experience: Must have high school diploma or GED. Experience working with animals is not required but is preferred. Knowledge of animal breeds and behavior is helpful.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Must possess a valid and unrestricted driver’s license.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Work is regularly active with periods of heavy exertion and is performed in an animal shelter, and outside in varying and extreme weather conditions.
- Typical positions require workers to walk or stand for long periods, life and carry up to 70 plus pounds, climb stairs, ladders and scaffolding; bend, kneel, crouch and crawl; reach, hold, grasp and turn objects.
- Work involves exposure to sick or dangerous animals. Subject to animal bites and scratches.
- Exposure to disinfectant solutions when cleaning.
Please send resume to email@example.com