All new volunteers must complete a volunteer orientation before they may begin.
The Animal Rescue League of Berks County is happy to announce that we are offering new opportunities to our volunteers including:
- Dog Walking: All volunteer dog walkers will be required to attend a training orientation prior to walking shelter dogs and a one-on-one training session. Each session will last approximately one hour. Once completed, dog walkers will receive a badge for use when walking dogs and dog walkers are welcome to come in any time during our regular business hours. This policy is required of ALL dog walkers regardless of if they will be volunteering for just one day or for multiple days. Leaders of volunteer groups should contact Outreach Coordinator Hope Poliansky to schedule training for their group. View upcoming training sessions here.
- Book Buddies: learn more here
- Welcoming Committee – Help “direct traffic” during our busiest times by answering simple questions in our lobby, asking guests to sign waivers, and directing them to our adoption rooms. Volunteers are needed Tuesday & Thursday evenings 5-8 pm and Saturdays and Sundays 11-4.
- Events: Love to schmooze? Then this is the job for you! Join our Outreach Team in the community by setting up tables, walking dogs, and talking with the public about the services offered by the ARL.
- Community Outreach: Love education? Help us get the word out about responsible pet ownership, spaying and neutering, why adoption rocks, and more by leading facility tours and assisting in group settings (at schools, senior centers, etc)
- Administrative: Are your skills more technical? We always need help at our front desk with filing, scanning, returning phone calls and with administrative projects. Volunteer availability from 9am – 11am any day of the week is a bonus!
- Kennel: Want to get down and dirty? You can help our kennel staff clean kennels and cat cages/colonies. Not glamorous, but such a necessity!
We require volunteers to attend an orientation before beginning any and all volunteer duties. All volunteers must complete a volunteer application and waiver. You may register for this orientation by clicking below. Space is limited to the first 30 volunteers who register. We ask that all volunteers make a commitment of at least 4 hours per month.
All volunteers over the age of 18 are required to complete a volunteer release waiver and have a copy of their photo ID made upon their first visit to the shelter. Volunteers under the age of 18 must have a minor release waiver completed by a parent or legal guardian and must ALWAYS be accompanied by an adult. Waivers must be updated every year. Volunteers under the age of 18 cannot handle animals without a parent or guardian present. Waivers are included in the application.
If you have any questions in regards to our volunteer policies or are interested in volunteering in any aspect here at our shelter, please contact Hope Poliansky, Outreach Coordinator at (610) 373-8830 x120 or via email at HPoliansky@BerksARL.org. We look forward to seeing your around the Animal Rescue League soon!
Click HERE to register.