Since the ARL has received massive media exposure for our Book Buddies program in early 2014, hundreds, if not thousands, of visitors have come to our shelter to participate in this fun, educational, and free program. With all this attention we quickly realized that our cat colonies could use a facelift. The cat colony walls and floors will first be corrected of deterioration of epoxy which has made our cats more susceptible to disease. This project will be completed in late 2014 – early 2015 utilizing grant funds. After restoration is complete, the ARL would love to create a more fun, colorful, and functional space in the cat colonies by asking artists to submit mural design concepts and allowing the four most-voted-for submissions to be implemented by the winning artists. Thousands of people visit the ARL each year and this opportunity presents one-of-a-kind exposure for artists!
- Call for artists submissions August 1st – September 15th.
- Artists should submit a digital copy of their concept along with a $10 registration/donation. Register Here
- A jury formed by Berks Arts Council will judge all submissions and determine which concepts will advance based on family friendly content and skill level.
- Contestants will be posted online from Oct 1 – Oct 25.
- Viewers will be given the chance to vote on their favorite for $1.00 donation and can vote as many times as they like during the voting period.
- The top 10 finalists will be notified on October 26th and will receive 1 ticket to the the ARL’s annual Gala on November 1st. Additional tickets can be purchased here.
- The final four winners will be announced on November 1st at the Annual Gala.
- Actual painting will occur in early 2015 after initial rehab in the colonies is complete. The ARL will reach out to each artist to schedule times for painting that work for both parties.
The Colonies (click thumbnails to view larger photos)
Prizes: Each of the four winners will receive:
- a $250 cash prize underwritten by The Reading Museum from the proceeds raised at their “Dogs & Brews” event in May
- Follow-up articles from local media
- As much love from our kitties as they can handle
ARL will provide:
The Fine Print:
- Entries must be “G” rated – appropriate for all audiences.
- Concepts are not restricted and can include a theme, a pattern, be abstract, realistic, illustrative, etc.
- Mural must be produced with paint only, ie: no found materials, glue, glitter, textiles, etc.
- Artists will be painting on top of cinderblock covered in Dur-A-Wall which is is an epoxy wall system with a urethane topcoat designed to be durable, sanitary and easy to clean.
- The top 10 finalists are strongly encouraged to attend the ARL’s Gala on November 1st. Please save the date.
- Please submit a high-quality, 8″ x 10″ PDF of your concept
- Questions: Email Marketing Director, Beth Ireland.